Monday, May 14, 2012

Oh, How Times Have Changed

***This was written last week. The babies turned two Saturday!***

So this time two years ago, I had the life! I had one baby in my house, two babies still safely inside me incubating, and I was on house rest, which basically meant the doctor didn't want me to work. Lee Cooper was two years old and that was work, but nothing like what was to come. DUH DUH DUH!!!! (I mean that as in doom and gloom, not like airhead.)  Anyway, the babies will be two on Saturday, and it has caused me to think about things that have changed in my life over the past two years. It has also reminded me of the fact that I must be a daily joke to the One above. I mean if I had to give advice to a mother expecting twins, I would say organize, organize, organize. There is the humor in all of this. If you know me at all, then you know that organizing is probably not a strength of mine. Well, it wasn't anyway. Here are few things that I have to do just to keep an illusion that I am a mom that has it all together.

1. Make list of things. I have to write everything down. Groceries, chores, important dates, everything.
2. I have things that I do every week that are the same every week.
Monday-Clean house thoroughly after the weekend, laundry, trash day.
Tuesday-laundry, sweep, pick up toys, make beds, mop sticky parts of the floor, grocery store.
Wednesday- laundry, sweep,pick up toys, make beds, handle the business of bills and paper work.
Thursday-Clean house again to get ready for the weekend, wash sheets, laundry.
Friday- Special fun with the kids. Even if it is playing outside all morning. I try to put everything down on Friday morning and do something special.
3. When I go to the store, I park beside the buggies, even if this means a long walk to the front door. I also try my best to find the big buggies with the places for kids to ride. I have left the store before because I could not find the big cart, and I just gave up.
4. When getting the kids dressed, I lay everything out first. There is nothing worse than being in the middle of trying to get clothes on a screaming kid and not being able to find what you need.
5. When loading the kids up in the car, grab a kid and go straight to the car seat behind driver seat. Buckle them completely in so they can't make an escape. Grab second kid and go to the back carseat. Buckle them in so they can't make an escape. Yell at four year old that he has had ample amount of time to put is little arms through the carseat straps and that I shouldn't have to be waiting on him to do this. Buckle him in and then go buckle myself in. I have been headed out of the driveway and Lee yell up to me, "UHHH, Mama. You forgot something." He will be riding free in the car, and this CAN NOT happen!
6. I rotate the things that I cook. This sounds pretty boring, but it works for us. I cook four times a week and the other days we eat left overs. I have 8 weeks worth of menus then we just rotate. Every two months we start back over at week one. This works and makes it much easier for me.  For breakfast, I make a warm breakfast on Monday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The other days are poptarts, cereal, or breakfast bars. Eat it and enjoy it. No complaints will be heard or accepted!

Most of all the thing I try to remember is that unless it is life threatening.....it will be okay. If I'm running late, it will be okay. If the kids look like they have been to a tattoo parlor, it will be okay. If I don't have time to make the beds, it will be okay.  If Lee is reorganizing the den furniture, it will be okay. (However, not appreciated!) If Kate potties in my room, it will be okay. If my house is full of laughter, talking, playing, running, love, tickles, and giggles, we will all be okay, and one day we will look back at this chaos and smile and say thank you Lord for the memories!

Two years ago


Best things that ever happen to me.
First day home from the hospital



1 comment:

Kary said...

Enjoyed reading this. Love y'all.